Friday, September 4, 2009

Potato Corn Chowder

Last night I made some really yummy Potato Corn Chowder. I got the original recipe from my mother-in-law, who I think is a great cook, and I have tweeked it a little for my family. Here is my version. It makes quite a bit so cut it in half or else save it for leftovers if you don't need so much. It does not freeze well, though.

Potato Corn Chowder

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. butter
*In the bottom of the pot melt butter and add onion; cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook for just a minute.

Add 6 cups water with 3 chicken boullion cubes or you can use chicken stock. Next add about 6 potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces. While the potatoes are cooking cut up:
1 head cauliflower, 2 bunches broccoli (you could also add carrots or beans--whatever your family like). Then throw in 2 cups frozen corn (or you could use 2 cans corn, either--oh, creamed corn is absolutely yummy to add into this, too. I didn't have any last night, though). Last I throw in 2 cups diced ham and let this all simmer together for a little while (you would not have to add meat if you don't want to). To season add salt and pepper to taste and if you have a favorite seasoning salt you could use that, too. To thicken this to a chowder I add a little milk and then stir together some flour and cold water (probably about 1/2 c flour and the same amount of water, maybe a little less) and stir it into the soup. Honestly, I just do it by site and feel and don't measure much. ;) If it's not thick enough add some more thickening.

Top with grated cheese, small scoup of sour cream, chopped green onions, bacon bits, etc--whatever you have!

No comments: